Friday, February 5, 2010

#18 - MORE GIFTS TO MYSELF (FROM OTHERS!)

It's not often that I receive many knitting-related gifts, even though I spend so much of my time talking about and thinking about yarn. This is mainly because my family and close friends aren't crafters, and wouldn't have the slightest idea of where to begin. Usually I have to accompany my well-intentioned friends to the yarn store and choose a few items for myself, and I certainly cannot complain. And even though I doubt anything could top that boatload of Turkish yarn I received this past summer, I admit that a small yarny surprise would be nice every once in a while. But the people in my life rarely disappoint, and this winter has been plentiful with some knitty surprises.

From Knitting, etc.

It all began with my work supervisors, who shocked me with a holiday skein of local buffalo yarn from a nearby farm. I later learned that there were multiple buffalo farms in Maryland (I must be living under a rock!) and have planned to pay them all a visit when warmer weather arrives. I imagine this yarn will be perfect for a Springtime in Philadelphia beret. Many thanks to Missy and Jim for that completely unexpected gift - and Missy writes an excellent genealogy blog, so do give it a visit!

From Knitting, etc.

My parents also gave me the most excellent Christmas gift ever (aside from incredibly nice pajamas) - a drop spindle and hand-dyed batt from Pancake and Lulu! Although I haven't tried it out yet (mainly because I want to read the guides about twenty more times before I attempt it), I'm really excited since it's the first step to handspinning.

The final gift has yet to arrive, as if I need anything else. I won a special prize from Yellow Dog Knitting as their 500th follower on Twitter. I will be receiving yarn and a pattern for mittens in the coming days, so come back to check it out.

1 comment:

Joanne said...

What lovely gifts - and so unique and thoughtful! Stopping by today and sending some PEAR love your way! Have a lovely Sunday!

Joanne @ Ready, Set, Craft!