Tuesday, May 18, 2010

#37 - THIS & THAT

Finally back! I've actually quite missed the blog over the last few weeks that were intense and sleep-deprived due to final papers and take-home exams and the like. I'm only a few credits away from my MLS, which is simultaneously exciting and relieving. Meanwhile, in the few weeks I have before the summer minimester begins, I'm packing in lots of yarny and crafty exploits!
First off, I finally finished knitting my Clapotis! It took much longer than I ever anticipated, thanks to my easily distracted brain, but the final product is really lovely, soft, and drapey in Art Yarns Regal Silk - one of my most self-indulgent yarn purchases. I love this colorway with neutrals, silver greys, greens, and bronze called Paris Rain. Considering that when I was last in Paris it was incredibly rainy for the first week, my Clapotis is a little bit of French nostalgia all around.

Although I'll probably never wear it like a shawl, I had to show off the drop stitch design. And many thanks to my fantastic mom, who photographed me quite a few times to get these shots! :)
Also, yesterday I came upon two yarny packages in the mail that I just have to share with you. The first one is my epic order from Nordic Mart, with 40ish skeins of Drops Eskimo for 2 sweaters (including the Sylvi!). This was my first order with Nordic Mart, and oh it was an absolute breeze. I ordered the yarn on Saturday afternoon and it arrived on Monday, zipping across country. How crazy is that? I'm a fan of all the Garn Studio yarns, but the yarn shops around here don't stock it, so I expect to be a return customer.

Then, my swap parcel arrived from Canada from one of my favorite Ravelers, Jenn! The parcel was MIA for a bit in the post, but landed on my doorstep and I was so eager to tear into it. She sent me a few reusable grocery bags - including one with lots of compartments, which will be a very handy project bag; lots of chocolates, including Aero Bubbles (not pictured... because I already tore into the bag and had to hide them from myself in the pantry); a sparkly beaded necklace and earrings set; an adorable notebook with a little sheep on the cover, perfect for writing down my modifications as I knit (which I too often forget to do); springtime stickers; and glorious, glorious yarn. 2 skeins of Cadenza Hand Paints, to be exact, in a beautiful springy green and yellow colorway, which I hear required her LYS owner to run off to the distributor just for me. Jenn, I can't thank you enough for being such a magnificent friend! You certainly spoiled me.

Now, I'm working on getting a few more lingering WIPs off the needles, so I'm turning on my Electric Sheep podcasts and audiobooks, and off I go!

7 comments:

Maiden Jane said...

Beautiful Clapotis! I love it both ways!

Unknown said...

I love the shawl, it's stunning! Good work and have a nice rest before the next minimester starts... Thanks for stopping by over at i.craft.

Where the nodding violets grow said...

The Clapotis is stunning. The colours are beautiful. I like it both ways but I love it as a scarf.

Thank you for the encouraging comments on my blog about the acrylic.

Lexy said...

I've never really been caught by the Clapotis bug, but your's makes me want to make one straight away!. It's beautiful. Love it as a scarf.

g-girl said...

wow, your clapotis is absolutely gorgeous. great color. :)

Leah said...

I hope you have an enjoyable craft-filled break, and good luck with the last few credits! I just finished my MLIS in April, and can't really believe I'm actually finished... (Knitting librarians FTW!)

Allison said...

The colors in your Clapotis really show off the design. You're going to knit Sylvi. I love that sweater! It's on my to knit list as well.