Thursday, January 6, 2011

#50 - CHRISTMAS KNITS (OR, BETTER LATE THAN NEVER)

No, my Christmas knits were not late... but this post certainly is. Blogging was interrupted by knitting and holidaying and family and friends. I hope you all had a magnificent end to 2010 and are setting out plans for the year ahead. I have some big ones in mind, but in the meantime, here are the knits I've gotten off the needles since you heard from me last.

Dad's Christmas Hat
: Impossibly simple and knitted in Paton's Classic Wool. I improvised a few stripes to match one of his winter jackets. Also must mention that this hat pattern, from Last Minute Knitted Gifts is best suited for gents with a big head (literally, not figuratively) - so it suits my papa perfectly. :)

Best Friend Cowl: A knitted commission in Rowan Felted Tweed. I used some of my favorite vintage buttons on this to give the simple scarf pattern a fun twist. The lace pattern is easy to memorize and knits up quickly.

Ravel it!

Brother's Christmas Hat
: Another easy, manly hat in Paton's Classic Wool. The Turn a Square pattern is a go-to for a deceptively impressive gift. Used solid colors this time around, but again, it matches his winter coat quite nicely.


Mom's Lacy Christmas Cowl
: A new #stashbustarmy project in one of my new favorite yarns, Lion Brand Nature's Choice Organic Cotton. Impossibly soft and squishy, I held the yarn doubled to equal a bulky weight. The color is lovely and I added one of my favorite vintage buttons from my stash to top it off. Mom has worn it countless times already, so I know it was a winner.


Ravel it!

Now, I'm focused on a new year of knits with some yarny resolutions, a few knit-alongs in store, stashbusting, and a something already off the needles. Lots to share in the coming days, but what has been in your crafty sights lately? I want to hear all about it.

Happy knitting!

xx

5 comments:

juicyknits said...

Amazing gifts! Love how you noted down the care instructions to each one. :)

Maiden Jane said...

Wow, simply wonderful. I was a knitting bum this year - not one gift for anyone. Then my husband decides he wants a chullah, but didn't think he'd like Thorpe. I finally had him try one on in a store and he looked like a dork, so he bought a classic ski hat. But those two manly hats are so classic. Love Paton's! I'll have to make him one next year. Remind me to start knitting in the summer. I don't mind knitting small wool projects in the summer, except on the most humid of days. And it's the best time to start chunking out gift projects.

Marushka C. said...

The hats are terrific and I love, love, love that cowl. Your gift recipients are very lucky!

My main goal for 2011 crafting is to get better at spinning. I also want to make friends with my sewing machine and to get some gift knitting done all year, not just in Nov/Dec.

Debs102 said...

gorgeous gifts - the hat is fab :) I knitted a blanket for my sister in law and a few bits for people in the office but that's about it! Debs102 www.debs102.blogspot.com

g-girl said...

love the lacy cowl you made your mom and the commissioned one as well. :)