Thursday, March 31, 2011

#60 - 2KCBWDAY4: WHAT EVER HAPPENED

I have to say, I'm really enjoying blog week. This is such a great opportunity to meet new bloggers and learn about your experiences. I really enjoy your feedback, and as always, any ideas or critiques you might have are greatly appreciated. Might I also mention that in the time when I planned to write this blog post, I ended up perusing the Pierrot Yarns website... sale on merino fingering weight yarn!! Old habits die hard, y'all. Now, onto today's topic: knits from the past:

Whatever happened to your __________?

Write about the fate of a past knitting project. Whether it be something that you crocheted or knitted for yourself or to give to another person. An item that lives with you or something which you sent off to charity.


I love looking back on my first knits because, as I said in a previous post, I was really a fearless knitter at the start. I made 2 boring stocking stitch scarves before I dove in headfirst: cabled fingerless gloves and an entrelac headwrap were some of my earliest projects... followed by lace.


My Springtime Bandit, up-close and personal

I made my first yarn splurge with an order for The Fibre Company's Road to China in citrine. With said splurge, I decided to knit myself a Springtime Bandit. Now, I was new and not exactly the brightest of knitters, so I ended up buying too little of a discontinued color, and could only knit the edge portion once, but man oh man, I was so proud and so pleased when I finished that scarf.


Even though I feel like my Bandit illustrates a lot of my inexperience, it also shows my enthusiasm for trying new techniques on the fly. It made me feel impossibly clever when I was finished, and it now holds a special place in the canon of my knitted items. In fact, my mom recently pilfered it when I left it sitting on her dining room table... so I'll be knitting her a Springtime Bandit of her own in some fingering weight yarn in the coming weeks.

I don't have some touching story to share (unfortunately), but when I read this prompt, I immediately thought of my Bandit. It's precious to me, and it gives me a lot of joy to see my mom's love for it as well. She's probably my biggest knitty supporter, and I feel even warmer and fuzzier when she wears it.

10 comments:

josiekitten said...

How lovely that you are able to knit for your mum and that she appreciates it. I wish I had been knitting while my munm was alive. Really special.

Where the nodding violets grow said...

Great post. You had every right to feel proud when you had finished it and it is great that you still enjoy it now.

Anonymous said...

Aw it looks comfy in the pictures. I might have taken it too if it was left on my kitchen table XD

Anonymous said...

That's beautiful. It does look comfy. I love that you were fearless. As an OLD crocheter, I'm still far from fearless so you inspire!!!

As soon as I finish this crazy bucket hat I've taken on for my soon to be 80-year-old father (it's Green Bay Packers... he's a huge fan, I cannot wait to be done with it and I haven't even started the real thing yet... practicing to get it just right) I will be embarking on my first garment for me.

Cannot wait.

Real splurgy yarn, etc. Some day I hope to have a worn out sweater and great tale to tell about it. Don't care if it is heartwarming, as long as the sweater makes it to the "worn out" phase. As in - I can actually wear it. LOL

Alexandra said...

I love your story and I love your shawl! It's so pretty! It's so nice that you're still enjoying it!

Fay Lynn said...

i think the most fearless part was knitting with such expensive yarn with no fear. Congratulations! I know so many that by really nice yarn and then they are afraid to knit with it.

AC said...

That's an incredible knit for a beginner.

Stefanie said...

Keep up the fearlessness and how lovely for you that Bandit is popular and well loved and used.

~RaenWa~ said...

Your bandit came out great I love the color & it looks so soft. That pattern has been in my Que for the longest time maybe I will get around to it soon.

g-girl said...

well, your bandit couldn't have suffered a better fate than to be claimed by your mom! :)