Friday, March 26, 2010

#26 - BLOG THERAPY: MY ANTISOCIAL TENDENCIES


From Knitting, etc.

Back for another round of blog therapy. So yes, my friends joke that I'm known for occasionally dropping off the radar. When things get busy or I feel overwhelmed, I'll retreat in my apartment. I start ignoring phone calls, forgetting to reply to emails, spending hours upon hours napping in bed over the weekends rather than going out.


But even when I feel like I'd prefer to be completely alone rather than dealing with the world around me, I find myself becoming more connected to the lovely crafters on Ravelry. I've found a few amazing groups of supportive people (especially in Got Friends?) who celebrate each other's triumphs and comfort one another in defeat.

From Knitting, etc.

But I took it one step further and started swapping. I didn't realize how much fun I'd have choosing and making knitty gifts for a total stranger. And the friendships that form after makes swaps all the more rewarding. Above is my first ever swap package - I knitted up a Robin's Egg Blue hat in Cascade Venezia bulky, which was so soft with a subtle sheen to it. With it, I sent pattern markers and stitch markers from Andrea Jene Designs, and a skein of Claudia's Hand Painted Yarns in Eat Your Veggies. My awesome swapette said she's thinking of knitting up the yarn into a Reverie beret, and I think it's the perfect choice.

Even though I'm working on getting myself out a little more often and returning those phone calls a little more promptly, I know I can stop by Ravelry and always feel at home with some people I feel honored to refer to as friends.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the hat! Found you through New Friend Friday, and now I'm following!

~Lauri
http://knitsandreads.blogspot.com

VJ said...

Cute hat!!

I too am stopping by from New Friend Friday. =)

Unknown said...

I am following you back! I love your work! I wish I could do that! I have sat in front of youtube for hours trying to get it with no luck! You should do some tutes!

M.E. Greene said...

There is something about knitting for other people that really takes your mind off things. Cute hat!!

Maiden Jane said...

I adore that hat!

Batty said...

I do that too -- retreat into my own little fibery world until the crisis is over. Then, I come out. I love my friends and family, but simply put, human contact takes effort. And when there's a work crisis going on, I don't have the extra energy. It's sad -- kind of. Ravelry is great for that.

Great hat. Love the green and the buttons!

Val in the Rose Garden said...

What a wonderful connection you are making! I LOVE that hat! Beautiful!